ANANDA MARGA COLLEGE
- LIBRARY, AUDITORIUM, PLAYGROUND, LABS, HOSTEL, YOGA & MEDITATION
LIBRARY - Libraries are very ancient in history. Records of imperial libraries in China are there since 500 B.C. The founder of classical Taoism, Lao Tse was a librarian. Takshila University of Gandhara in the 6th century B.C. was a center of advanced studies and is considered to be the first University in the world. The University had an excellent library. The library collection included works on the Vedic religion, political science, literature, medicine, and philosophy. The Nalanda University in Bihar (300-850 A.D.) had a huge library complex known as Dharmaganj.
The first recorded Librarian was Zenodotus (284 BC) of Ephesus, holding that post from the end of Ptolemy I's reign. He was a Greek grammarian, literary critic, and Homeric scholar. A native of Ephesus and a pupil of Philitas of Cos, he was the first librarian of the Library of Alexandria. He lived during the reigns of the first two Ptolemies. The largest library in the world is the US Library of Congress in Washington DC founded in 1800. Nearly 168 million separate items occupy 530 miles of shelving with millions and millions of books, maps, photographs, sound recordings, rare books, telephone books and much more. The Cartography Section holds 4.5 million items. More than one million doctoral dissertations are at the Library of Congress along with the world's largest collection of comic books. The newspaper collection is also the most extensive in the world with papers dating back to the late 1600s.
S. R. Ranganathan is considered to be one of the greatest librarians who single-handedly created a brand new system of library cataloguing. The biggest library in India is the National Library at Belvedere Estate in Alipore which is located in Kolkata. It is the largest library in the country by volume. It is under the Department of Culture, government of India, established in the year of 1836.
Famous Quotations –
- If there’s a Heaven, It’s a Library –Anonymous
- “I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” - Jorge Luis Borges
- “Libraries are the memory of mankind.” - George Bernard Shaw
- “A library is a mirror of the beauty of human knowledge. It is a treasury of the most beautiful thoughts of the greatest men.” - Gottfried William Leibnitz
- “When I open them, most of the books have the smell of an earlier time leaking out between the pages - a special odour of the knowledge and emotions that for ages have been calmly resting between the covers. Breathing it in, I glance through a few pages before returning each book to its shelf.” ― Haruki Murakami
- "Bad libraries build collections, good libraries build services, great libraries build communities." – Prof. R. David Lankes
AUDITORIUM – The College has a state-of-art auditorium with 800 seating capacity. All the programs, seminars and functions are hosted here.
LABS – Laboratory facilities for subjects like – Geography, Computer, Biology, Chemistry and Physics is available within the college building. New labs for upcoming new courses will soon be constructed.
HOSTEL - The College has Hostel facility for Boys. The intention is to provide lodging and fooding support to far of students with the most conducive Ashramic atmosphere to pursue studies in peace and comfort. There are 2 boys’ hostels, each seating 20-40 students. Spacious rooms with single and double occupancy as per availability are available. Separate Prayer room, Kitchen with Dining Hall, Open terrace, Playground, etc are also available. Strict discipline is maintained inside the hostels. Hostel Superintendent is the in-charge of the Hostel.